Thursday, October 22, 2009

It was recently...

announced that Jean Paul Gaultier will be gracing Target with a diffusion collection. I found this news very exciting, but upon further reflection, realized that I had felt the same about every other Target designer collaboration. And guess how many items I have from these collections? None. Why is that? Why, when I have been known to count down the days to the launch of the collection, do I not own a single piece from any of the many collections? I think the problem lies in my expectations for the line. I see the “real” collection, and then when the diffusion line reaches Target, it’s not so much diffused as diluted. What I expect from these collections is the same silhouette and “look” of the designer’s line, but in less expensive fabrics and finishes. This, alas, is not so. H&M, however, churns out beautiful capsule collections. Why does H&M hit it so on the nose, and Target falls so far short? First of all, H&M has a slightly higher price point, so the materials can be a little “better” than those used at Target. Second, H&M, unlike Target, does not do one diffusion line after another. They take their time collaborating with designers, and then they let the whole concept rest before premiering another. Targ on the other hand rests for maybe three weeks before releasing another collection.

That being said, I will more than likely (eagerly) check out the Jean Paul Gaultier. Who knows, maybe I can get a cone bra of my very own.

No comments: