Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Continuing our Sparkle Week coverage…

Today, the weather is gloriously and unseasonably warm, and I am embracing it with open arms. However, with “unseasonably” comes “unexpected”, and also “unprepared”, as in, I am. With only one pair of sandals with me in Corvallis, I must embrace the pair I have (silver flip-flops).  I also am sadly devoid of most spring/summer dresses and skirts, so I’ll be cuffing my jeans into capris. On top I’ll be wearing a statement-top (mine is bright pink eyelet, but the following tips applies to any statement top).

But how, when wearing a statement top, do you also add some sparkle? It can be somewhat difficult to incorporate another high-impact piece into your look. A simple silver cuff or wide bangle would be good here. However, I think the best solution here is to take a cue from everyone’s favorite Upper-East Sider, Blair Waldorf. Add a headband!  It should be embellished (this is Sparkle Week after all) but skinny headbands work best here. Nestled in your hair (rather than actually holding it back) it shines just enough to complement, not compete with, your top. The headband I selected is silver glitter, and just ½ centimeter thick. Finish off the look with small drop earrings; your hair will hide them most of the time, catching the light every-so –often for just the right amount of spark.  And shoes? Metallic is best, but they should be minimal. Simple ballet flats or sandals will not compete with the rest, but will fit in nicely. 

No comments: