Sunday, February 15, 2009

It may be...

winter in Oregon and fall in New York (at least according to the runways), but my heart is resting squarely in spring. Stores are beginning to stock the spring merch., and magazines are showing the Spring looks, and those lucky bastards in  California are already breaking out their sundresses. Looking at the images from last September’s RTW shows, there’re a couple of trends I am loving, and a few I am loathing.

Love: Maxi dresses are still going strong. There seem to be quite a lot of bandeau-halter (the halter comes from the center of the chest, rather then near the under-arms). Colors are bright yet not quite “true”; there is coral instead of orange or pink, and turquoise instead of blue or green. There was also tons of white and black—often together in graphic prints. Dresses and skirts were very full and lady-like, but still wearable for day. DVF showed big floral headbands; I like the idea of it, but I would tone it down for the real world. I saw tons of lace used in a pretty casual way, and it was fantastic. I also loved all the caftan-like dresses.

Loathe: Inexplicably, the jumpsuit trend is still ubiquitous, and has brought in its equally evil little sister: the romper. Just…no. If it doesn’t flatter a model, whose job it is to make clothes look good, then it will not look good on an average or normal person. Please, step away from any sort of one-piece top-bottoms combo. Another bad look? “Harem” pants. I’m sorry, are you a genie? Is your name Aladdin? If not, then put the pants back on the rack and step away.

{PS. Sorry it's been so long since my last post.}

No comments: