Friday, May 8, 2009

Remember when...

you were a little girl, and your mom finally let you paint your nails yourself? If you were like me, this was one of the best privileges ever and you wanted to demonstrate how sophisticated you were. Which of course meant painting each of your nails a different color.

My new fave way to paint my nails is an adaptation of these multi-hued days. Instead of using ten different colors, I’m using two; I’m selecting one finger* and painting it a color that coordinates with the one on the rest of my fingers.  For example, currently the index finger on both hands is painted orange, while the rest of my nails are a bright raspberry.

Adorbs, right? 

If you want to try this style, make sure to use two colors form (roughly) the same color family. The thing that makes this look so great is that it is almost un-noticeable. It looks best when it doesn’t scream at you. Along the same lines, pick a contrast-finger that is not obvious. My suggestion: don’t do your middle finger or thumb. Choose your ring, pinky, or index fingers.

If you are feeling a little timid about this style, try a slightly more subtle take by picking shades of the same color that are just different enough to be surely discernable. Another option is to paint your nails all the same color, and then using a glittery topcoat on just your contrast finger. This is one case when sparkle will be the more subtle choice.

*Paint the contrast color on the same finger on each hand (i.e. both pinky fingers). 

No comments: